Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Woman - Ruth

路得 - 委身成仁
路得記
  1. A person's life is part of a greater life. How could I live a worth- life for myself as well as for the greater others?
  2. How can a woman live in a life worth 7 men's lives. What does it mean in the book of Ruth? Am I living a less than 1 life or a multiplied one?
  3. Ruth's character : sensation (1:14), has principle (1:16), love God (1:16), hard working (2:7), grateful (2:10), humble (2:13), not greedy (2:14), obedient (2:23), submissive (3:5) and has noble character (3:12)

reading notes

1:16-18 The relationship between Naomi and Ruth was not simply mother and daughter-in-law. Ruth said, "......Your people will be my people and your God my God....." The most powerful word that Ruth claimed was "May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me. "

In the world, mother and daughter-in-law relationship is always claimed the most difficult one. I don't know how to describe it but it seems to me that there includes competition and jealousy. However, I can see due to God is in between Naomi and Ruth, their relationship can be as deep as to sacrifice for each other.

2:2 "Let me go to the fields and pick up the leftover grain behind anyone in whose eyes I find favor." I recognized how much Ruth was struggling for living. She was humble to the situation and willing to pick up the leftover grain. I feel she is also an optimistic woman who was willing to surrender to the situation by having to meet someonw whose eyes find favor to her."

2:4 The harvestland people greeted each other, "The LORD be with you." It shows that they are at the same belief as Ruth.

2:5 The interesting part is why Boaz asked the forman of his harvesters, "Whose young woman is that?" I can imagine that there should be many workers in the harvestland and why Ruth attracted Boaz's attention. May be due to her pick up the leftover grain, only she worked alone on that field.

2:6 The forman has clearly indicated that Ruth worked on the leftover and she was very hard working - she has worked steadily from morning till now, except for a short rest in the shelter. Humble and Hard working people attracts.

2:9 Due to Ruth willing to give first, she was accepted to work for Boaz. 2:10 To Ruth this was an extraordinary grace due to she was a foreigner. Boaz appreciated Ruth's surrender to God v12 whose wings you have come to take refuge.

2:11 Ruth's faith to her mother-in-law was recognized by the people in Bethlehem. v12 "May the LORD repay you for what you have done. May you be richly rewarded by the LORD."

2:22 why Naomi asked Ruth to go with Boaz's girls - because in someone else's field you might be harmed. Did Naomi indicated that Boaz was a good boss 2:20 showing his kindness to the living and the dead. Other harvestland owners could harm Ruth. Isn't it amazing that Ruth just went in to a right place by trusting 2:3 anyone in whose eyes I find favor.

3:1-4 I could barely understand why Naomi asked Ruth to go to Boaz's place. What I can imagine is Baoz already had a talk with Naomi about his favor to Ruth and proposed to marry her. 2:20 That man is our close relative; he is one of our kinsman-redeemers.

3:5-6 Here also showed how deep was Ruth's trust in Naomi. "I will do whatever you say,"

3:9 Ruth gave 2 reasons why she was in Boaz's bed (1) I am your servant Ruth and (2) you are a kinsman-redeemer. I can recall why Naomi asked Ruth to stay with Boaz's girls 2:22.

4:1 who is that another closer kinsman-redeemer? He has the first priority to purchase Naomi's land (a piece of land that belonged to our brother Elimelech.). As a condition 4:5 the man should acquire the dead man's widow, in order to maintain the name of the dead with his property. I could imagine that Elimelech was the land owner. Since he was dead, he passed the ownership to his sons Mahlon and Kilon. So Ruth as the widow would be part of the deal.

4:6 I cannot redeem it because I might endanger my own estate. In God's plan, Ruth is not for everybody. She benefits Boaz but not others.

4:10 in order to maintain the name of the dead with his property, so that his name will not disappear from among his family or from the town records. Without the submissive of Ruth to follow her mother-in-law to return to Betheham and be the servant of Boaz, the name of Elimelech and his decendant would not be recorded. Ruth lived for more than herself.

4:13 The LORD enabled her to conceive, and she gave birth to a son. It's God's plan for the decendants of Obed.

4:14 May he become famouse throughtout Israel. testified the family line of Perez.

4:15 For your daughter-in-law, who loves you and who is better to you than seven sons, has givesn him birth. Bible praises woman for love.

4:17 Obed was the father of Jesus, the father of David. Ruth was born to be a woman in connecting to the Greatness.

No comments: